LowBiasForums

Full Version: Nomination: Zelda Link to the Past
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Everyone who had a Super Nintendo knows Zelda: A Link to the Past. It took what the original Legend of Zelda did on the NES and ramped everything up to 11. The graphics were beautiful and still look good to this day, and the soundtrack is unforgettable. It was a natural evolution of the series and incorporated many interesting ideas such as a variety of useful items that drastically altered the mechanics.

Below are some of the many accomplishments of ALTTP has had over the years (from Wikipedia).

---
A Link to the Past is one of the best-selling SNES games, with 4.61 million units sold worldwide, and has had an exceptionally long stay on Nintendo Power's top games list (ranking number 2 in Nintendo Power's last issue): when the SNES list was finally retired, A Link to the Past had more than five consecutive years in the number one spot.

A Link to the Past was critically acclaimed upon release for its graphics and gameplay, and has since been recognized by critics as one of the greatest video games of all time. In 2005, IGN editors placed it 11th in its "Top 100 Games", while readers voted it to 5th place. The following year Entertainment Weekly chose it as the best game of all-time. Members of GameFAQs ranked it the 4th best, and readers of Japanese magazine Famitsu ranked it 31st in a 2006 poll. It also placed 3rd in Electronic Gaming Monthly's list, 23rd in Game Informer's, and 3rd in a best 200 Nintendo games list by Nintendo Power. In July 2007, readers of the magazine Edge voted it sixth in a poll of the 100 best games of all time. ScrewAttack placed it 2nd on their list of top 20 Super Nintendo games. GamesRadar named A Link to the Past the 3rd best Super NES game of all time, losing only to Chrono Trigger (2nd) and Super Metroid (1st). It was awarded Best Sequel of 1992 by Electronic Gaming Monthly. The game placed eighth (the second-highest Zelda game on the list) in Official Nintendo Magazine's "100 greatest Nintendo games of all time" list. In 2009, Game Informer put A Link to the Past 12th on their list of "The Top 200 Games of All Time", saying that it "remains a blast today".
---

Many who have played it call it the definitive Zelda game, and it's certainly one of the best and best regarded. It's on the top level of what video games are capable of and one of the best adventure/action/rpg games ever made. I remember when I first play it early on the SNES lifecycle, I was in awe. I had played and loved Mario World but after playing ALTTP, I felt gaming had truly reached the next level in terms of enjoyment and quality.

I submit The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past as a Hall of Fame entry.